Saturday, October 5, 2013

Parisian Places: Postcard from the 19th Arrondissement & Parc des Buttes Chaumont

I'd been living in Paris for about eight months when I realized I'd never been to the 19th arrondissement. 

So on a sunny day, I rode the metro over there to check it out.

Paris
Metro Jaurès
I got off the metro at Jaurès, near the canal. 

Ta da! The aforementioned canal
Between Metro Jaurès and Stalingrad, there is a large place with trees and a fountain. 

Large trees

Large fountain

Note the dog happily bounding into the large fountain. I think he thought it was his personal swimming pool.



I walked down the tree-lined quai....



By noon, there were dozens of people enjoying their lunch in this lovely spot. 

On the other side of this bridge, I had my first awkward encounter of the day.  Ladies, watch out for the guys in this neighborhood! They are noticeably more aggressive than in other areas. Nothing to fear, though.

Next, I walked up to the Parc des Buttes Chaumont...


...and wondered what took me so long!




The park is full of winding paths among trees and greenery, bigger and wilder than most Paris parks.


On this beautiful day, everyone was out, reading, studying, tanning, strolling. 




Do you see the elderly ladies sunbathing in their undergarments? 



The 19th doesn't get enough credit. It's wildly beautiful.  



Don't wait eight months to visit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment