Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Parisian Places: Maison Européene de la Photographie

There are so many museums in Paris. Before my 26th birthday, I tried to hit as many museums as I could that offered free admission to students 25 and under, and so by the time winter rolled around in Paris, I was a little burned out on museum-ing. I never would have gone to the Maison Européene de la Photographie had it not been personally recommended to me by a photographer and Francophile back in Chicago. 

Paris

I like museums that are big enough to be interesting, but small enough that you can see most everything in a few hours and not feel overwhelmed.*  In case you were wondering, the Louvre is not one of my favorite museums in Paris. (Gasp, blasphemy!)

Best of all, I like museums that are free, and La Maison Européene de la Photographie is, on Wednesdays from 5pm to 8pm. (Regular admission is 8 euros, or 4.50 if you qualify for a discount)

Paris

When I visited in the spring of 2013, the featured photographers were Martial Cherrier, Joel Meyerowitz, and Diana Michener. 


Michener's featured work was dreamlike, in black and white. If I knew any photography lingo, this would sure be a good place for it. 



Yes, I felt weird taking photos in a photography museum (...with my iPhone.) But it had to be done!






Joel Meyerowitz, my preferred artist of the ones exhibited, had an extensive amount of work on display. 


A Question of Color featured photographs of the same scene side by side, one in color, one in black and white. 


Face to Face featured portraits. Of humans. I liked it for the same reason that I like Humans of New York. 







Aftermath depicted scenes in New York directly following September 11th. According to the white plaque on the wall, he was forbidden to take photos at the site because it was a crime scene. Somehow, he did it anyway.

I don't remember exactly what this was from, but the photos sure were beautiful.


 

Meyerowitz's Restrospective featured his photos from a road trip through Europe, decades ago. I loved seeing pictures of places I knew in Paris, my home at the time, from years past.

Martial Cherrier's work was interesting... his fascination with the human body and drugs was clear. 



Exhibits change often, so this is a museum to return to again and again. It's just steps from the St. Paul metro strop in the heart of the Marais, so grab a falafel afterwards or wander over to Ile Saint-Louis for some ice cream. 

Practical Information

5/7 Rue de Fourcy - 75004 Paris
Metro: Saint Paul or Pont Marie
Open Wednesday - Sunday, 11am - 8pm





*Musée d'Orangerie and the Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris also fit into this category. 

No comments:

Post a Comment