Saturday, September 21, 2013

American Diner... in France

So, guess what.

I went to an American diner. In France. 

France

And it. was. Awesome.

Normally, I’m skeptical of “American” things in France.  Usually, anything "Americain" well... isn't, quite. Like, France has this thing, “sauce americaine” – nothing like anything we have in the States. (I mean, not that I'm the authority on all things that exist in all fifty states of the United States - it's a pretty big country. But I've never seen any of this so-called "sauce americaine" anywhere besides France.)  

But anyway, this American Diner!

On their website they say that they propose "un voyage dans les années 1950 aux Etats-Unis." Now, I wasn't exactly around in the 1950s, so I'm no expert, but I did feel like I'd stepped right into the era of Bye Bye Birdie, so if Bye Bye Birdie is an accurate portrayal of the 50s, I'd say they hit the nail on the head. 


It was kitschy and cheesy and classic and old-school. 



It had it all: neon lights, American flags, American license plates on the wall...


Even Elvis was there.

1950s American Diner in France


There was a long list of “French touch” burgers (including a bleu cheese burger, a goat cheese burger, and the "Rossini" burger with fois gras and fig chutney), but we all got the USA classic with bacon.  

(...which everyone else proceeded to eat with a knife and fork)

1950s American Diner in France




It was delish.

In the real American condiment caddy were real american condiments: ketchup, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, mustard...

And here's what's funny. You know how mustard is kind of a big deal in France? Kind of a French thing? The whole Dijon dealio? 

Well, I didn't know this, but one kind of mustard they do not have is honey mustard. I was in a group with five Frenchies, and none of them had ever tried it before. It was a hit!

We also enjoyed American beverages: Mai Tais and milkshakes (a milkshake is considered a beverage, right? I mean, you drink it. Through a straw. I think it counts.)



1950s American Diner in France

Their website details the history of diners in general, but to my knowledge doesn't state who the owners are or how they came to create an American diner in the Haute-Savoie, which disappoints me - I'd like to know their story. They're open seven days a week and serve food non-stop, American style.  Drool over their menu here

If you're near Annecy, you're in luck - the American Diner is about ten minutes away by car. 
For more information, go to their website, http://www.american-diner.fr/

P.S. If your French chéri(e) or ami(e) gets the difference between "diner" and "dinner" on the first try, please tell him or her that I'm extremely impressed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment