Monday, October 28, 2013

The best pizza in Paris: Golosino

On a cross-Atlantic plane ride at the end of 2012, I sat next to a nice Canadian gentleman who had been living in Paris for eleven years. He told me that the best pizza in Paris was at Golosino in the 5th arrondissement. 

Other people (who have never eaten at Golosino, I might add) argued their favorite pizzeria was the best in Paris, but they were all wrong. Wrong, I tell you!

Here's why I had a major coup de coeur for Golosino:

It's authentic

You walk in, and everyone is speaking Italian. It's so awesome. My Italian sucks, but I love to listen to it. And while I'm absolutely not an expert on what makes something authentically Italian (despite the diluted Italian blood swishing in my veins) I'd say that it's a good sign when all the staff and half the customers in a pizzeria are conversing in Italian, wouldn't you agree? 


It's affordable

No trendy overpriced pizzas here! A pizza will run you about 10 or less (8 if you get the margherita), and they're big! One is definitely enough for two people. They also have calzone, stramboli, minipizzas, and more for between 3-4, and takeout lasagna and pasta for around 6


It's delicious

Yum yum yum. I don't think there's anything mediocre on the menu, but if I still lived in Paris, I would work my way through every single dish, just to be sure. 

Capricciosa pizza = deliciosa pizza

It's un-pretentious

This is a hole-in-the-wall lunch and takeout place, not a fancy restaurant. If you eat in, you grab a stool at the little counter, but many people choose takeout (emporter) instead, and thankfully - customers are many, but space is limited. (Picnic in the Jardin des Plantes?) 

If you can't finish your pizza, there is no shame in taking the rest to go! If you know about my French pet peeves, you know this is huge! In fact, the Italian guy who kindly boxed up my uneaten slices said he didn't understand why this isn't "done" in Paris - apparently it's fine in Italy. On the other hand, my French chéri said it was "la honte" (so embarrassing) to be seen carrying leftovers! 



Practical Information

I've only visited the location right off Rue Mouffetard (4 Square Vermenouze Paris 75005) but apparently there's another near the Jardin de Luxembourg (8 Rue Gay Lussac Paris 75005), both in Paris' 5th arrondissement. 

They are closed between 3pm and 6pm during the week as well as all day Sunday. Check the website for the Saturday hours of your preferred location. 

Oh, their website! It's http://golosino.fr/.  You can browse their menu and call to place a to-go order, if you like. 

Buon appetito! 



No comments:

Post a Comment